Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Program design - Dealing with injuries

In my previous post I mentioned that I'm still dealing with a shoulder injury.   I first discovered my shoulder issue overhead pressing in January, it was an intense pain in my supraspinatus at lockout, even at low weights.  I knew I had an issue.  I fucked around with an injury already by trying to power through it and did nothing but harm, so I need to take it easy on that shoulder which means cutting movements out of my routine that involve the shoulder until I heal.  This means no bench press, no overhead press, no deadlift.  I'm probably playing it safe here, but I want to get better not worse.

While my impingement heals I really want to focus on my squat and bent row.  I've pieced together elements from other programs and come up with this:

Week 1

Day 1
   Squat 5x5
   Bent Row 5x5
Day 2
   Squat 5x5 + 5 lbs of Day 1
   Bent Row 5x5 + 5lbs of Day 1
Day 3
   Squat 1x5 + 20lbs of Day 2
   Bent Row 1x5 + 10lbs of Day 1

Week 2

Day 1
   Squat 5x5 + 5 lbs of Day 1, Week 1
   Bent Row 5x5 + 5lbs of Day 1, Week 1
Day 2
   Squat 5x5 + 5 lbs of Day 1, Week 2
   Bent Row 5x5 + 5lbs of Day 1, Week 2
Day 3
   Squat 1x5 + 20lbs of Day 2, Week 2
   Bent Row 1x5 + 10lbs of Day 1, Week 2

Progression continues on, you should get the idea.  One rest week is programmed in every 5th week.  I have this laid out for 5 months of sessions, which should give me enough time to not feel like I'm stagnating and allow my shoulder to heal.

Tonight's session was:
   Squat 5x5 130lbs
   Bent Row 5x5 100lbs

Light weights, I know, but I want to start low to leave enough room for progression while avoiding stalling and resetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment